Favorite Protein Shakes for Kids (with Veggies!)
Serve up a simple, yet nutritious protein smoothie with three flavor options to choose from.
- 1 cup whole milk plain kefir (or your favorite nondairy milk)
- 2 tablespoons almond, peanut, or sunflower seed butter
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
Option 1: Strawberry-Cauliflower (add the following to the base)
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen raw cauliflower
Option 2: Mango-Sweet Potato (add the following to the base)
Option 3: Banana-Spinach (add the following to the base)
- 1 cup frozen banana slices
- 1/2 cup lightly packed baby spinach
Add the kefir, nut or seed butter, and hemp seeds to a blender.
Add the desired additional ingredients from the desired flavor combination.
Blend very smooth, starting on low and working up to very high.
- You can store these for up to 6 hours in an airtight container or reusable pouch in the fridge. They will be slightly less thick and you may need to stir them slightly, but they store well.
- Omit the hemp seeds if needed or desired.
- Add 1/4-1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese for additional protein.
- Serve in a small open cup, a straw cup, or a reusable pouch.
- Start the blender on low and work up to high. Blend for 30-60 seconds to allow ample time for the mixture to become super smooth.
- Sweeten to taste with a little maple syrup or honey (for kids over 1).
- If you are unable to find kefir, use half milk and half plain yogurt instead.
- I like to freeze fresh raw cauliflower to use in this recipe. Frozen cauliflower from the store is meant to be cooked.
- Add 1/2 banana for additional creaminess in any of the smoothies.
Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 72mg | Potassium: 305mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 333IU | Vitamin C: 54mg | Calcium: 243mg | Iron: 3mg