5-Ingredient Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Use yellow or white cheese according to your child's color expectations!
- 1 small head cauliflower (stem discarded and chopped into small pieces; or about 4 cups florets)
- 2/3 cup milk (warmed slightly)
- 1 pound pasta (such as elbow or other mini pasta shape)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- pinch garlic powder (optional)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook for about 8-10 minutes or until soft when poked with a fork.
Use a fine-mesh strainer or slotted spoon to remove the cauliflower and add to a blender. Add the milk, cheese, butter, salt, and garlic powder if using. Blend until smooth.
Meanwhile, add the pasta to the boiling water from Step 1 and cook according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot.
Stir the cheese sauce into the pasta and serve warm.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Warm for 30-60 seconds in the microwave to serve.
- You can make the cheese sauce up to 3 days ahead and store it in an airtight container. Warm for 15-30 seconds in the microwave before stirring into the pasta.
- Use whichever kind of pasta your family likes best.
- I usually buy blocks of cheese and grate the cheese since it tends to be less expensive, but you can use purchased grated cheese if you prefer.
- Omit the garlic powder if you're at all worried that the kids may not like it.
- Stir the sauce into the pasta right before serving.
Calories: 317kcalCarbohydrates: 46gProtein: 13gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 213mgPotassium: 317mgFiber: 3gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 262IUVitamin C: 24mgCalcium: 149mgIron: 1mg