These Mini Egg Muffins with Cheese and Veggies are a go-to for quick and easy toddler breakfasts on busy weekday mornings. Egg muffins are packed with nutritious ingredients and are so quick to bake up!
Rich in protein and fats that toddlers need, eggs are a wonderful toddler food. You can make a batch a batch of the egg muffins on Sunday and keep them in the fridge until you need them.
Healthy Egg Recipes for Families
My family loves eggs all sorts of ways, but I love this recipe since I don’t have to wash up pans while I’m also trying to get everyone out the door in the morning. Having these breakfast egg muffins in the fridge, just ready and waiting to be reheated for a quick breakfast, is a total time-saver.
How to Make Egg Muffins Step-by-Step
Here’s a look at the process involved in this easy recipe.
- Decide on which vegetable you want to use. Precook it up to 3 days ahead and store in an airtight container as needed.
- Stir together the ingredients.
- Spoon into the greased muffin cups. You’ll use about 1 tablespoon of the batter per muffin.
- Remove from oven, let cool for about a minute, then use a knife to gently loosen the cups from the pan. Cool a bit and serve warm or store to serve later.
Mini Egg Cup Recipe for Baby Led Weaning
The muffins are delicate, so you’ll want to let them cool in the pan for a few minutes after you take them out of the oven—but their semi-soft texture also means that they are great for younger toddlers or toddlers still getting the hang of more complex textures. (In fact, this was the recipe that helped a friend of mine start to wean her daughter off of a feeding tube.)
You can double the batch if desired to make more. And you can also pack these egg and cheese mini muffins in a packed daycare lunch or school lunch. (I even like them chopped up over salads for lunch.)
Healthy Egg Muffins with Veggies
We like these with both grated raw or leftover roasted butternut squash and sweet potato, shredded raw carrots or chopped broccoli florets. Use whichever you have or prefer. You could also add snipped spinach or kale or finely chopped bell pepper or mushrooms.
Easy Breakfast Egg Cups for Kids
The batter comes together really quickly as all it requires is some easy grating and stirring. You can whip these up whenever you have a spare 15 minutes. The batch is relatively small so you won’t have leftovers lingering forever (though they actually freeze really well should that be an issue). And they boast a solid dose of protein, calcium, and vitamin A from the eggs, cheeses, and squash. Each is a two-bite affair for my girls and they almost always insist on dipping them in salsa or ketchup.
Best Eggs for Toddlers and Babies
When buying eggs for toddlers, know that from chickens with access to grass and pasture typically have more of these healthy poly and monounsaturated fats than conventional eggs. Look for the terms “free range” and “grass-fed”. Eggs are also a good source of B12, which is particularly important for toddlers who don’t eat meat.Print
These soft breakfast egg cups are packed with protein and vitamins—and can be made ahead of time!
- 1 tablespoon onion, peeled and grated (or 1/4 teaspoon onion powder)
- 1/2 cup butternut squash, finely grated (or leftover roasted squash, cubed)
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese, drained if needed
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease 12 mini muffin cups.
- Stir together all ingredients in a medium bowl. Spoon into muffin cups, filling about to the brim. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until firm to the touch and golden brown around the edges. Let cool for at least 5 minutes in the pan before serving to allow them to firm up a bit. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Store in the fridge for up to 3 days or store in the freezer in a zip top bag and reheat for 30 seconds in the microwave before serving.
- Use grated carrot, broccoli, zucchini or chopped spinach instead of squash.
- Try mozzarella instead of cheddar.
- Try ricotta instead of cottage cheese.
- Double the recipe and bake a whole pan of 24 mini muffins at once.