The beauty of these Vegan Banana Pancakes is that they have a serving of fruit tucked right inside, so you don’t (necessarily) need to serve anything else on the side. And the fruit adds moistness and natural sweetness, so these are a pretty delicious way to start the day. They are vegan, so you can make them for egg-free kiddos, or just when you’ve run out of eggs!
Easy Vegan Banana Pancakes
Every Sunday, we have a tradition of making pancakes. I almost always make either my Fluffy Applesauce Pancakes or these vegan banana pancakes. I love serving up healthier pancakes that are moist, flavorful, and that start our day off on in indulgent note…but that give us lots of balanced energy. These easy pancakes stir up in just a few minutes and are easy to make without eggs.
Vegan and Gluten Free Banana Pancakes
I love making pancakes with buckwheat flour since it’s naturally gluten free and it’s packed with both protein and fiber. It’s also less expensive than many other gluten-free flours and is widely available. You can try these with a gluten-free flour blend if you have that on hand or with whole-wheat flour instead.
Fluffy Banana Pancakes
Stir the batter well and use a light touch when flipping these pancakes and you’ll have fluffy banana pancakes for breakfast! We love to eat them plain as snacks if we happen to have any leftover, or sandwiches with nut or seed butter in between!
Nutritionally, these pancakes have fiber from the buckwheat (or whole wheat flour), potassium from the banana, and fiber from the flour and fruit. And the flaxseed adds some beneficial fats. We like them with nut butter and syrup, but top them how you and yours like them best.
With naturally sweet flavor and a simple method, these pancakes are a favorite Sunday staple in our house. (I sometimes even hide a few bananas on the top of the fridge to ensure we have super ripe ones ready!)
- 1 cup buckwheat flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mashed very ripe banana (about 1 small)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Stir together all ingredients in a medium bowl. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron or nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Coat with neutral oil, butter, or nonstick spray. Spoon out 1/4 cup of the batter at a time, or less to make smaller pancakes, and spread to an even thickness about 1/2-inch thick. Let cook about 3 minutes or until the edges are set. Carefully flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately and repeat with the rest of the batter, or keep warm on a baking sheet in a 200 degree F oven.
You can add a handful of chocolate chips to the batter if you prefer!