Most of the food I share can be enjoyed by the whole family, and this Coconut-Poached Chicken Salad is a good example of how one recipe can be tweaked for different ages. It features a super simple method to cook the chicken ahead of time, along with suggestions for how to serve it up for both mama (or daddy) and your little one. This is a delicious packed lunch idea for toddlers and adults that really perks up the middle of the day.
Coconut Poached Chicken Salads
Serves about 4
- 1 pound skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 cup short grain brown rice, cooked according to package directions
- Shredded kale, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, and/or sweet corn
- Lime Dressing
- Place the coconut milk, ginger and garlic into a wide, shallow pan over medium heat. Stir and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the chicken. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes, turning chicken halfway through, or until cooked through. (If the liquid is boiling when you flip the chicken over, reduce the heat to low before putting the lid back on.) Remove from heat and let cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days until ready to use.
- Assemble lunches with an assortment of leafy greens, rice, some chicken, and veggies for adults, or thread veggies and chicken onto lollipop sticks for little ones. You can also simply serve the ingredients diced for the kids and limit the amount of leafy greens if they aren’t fans. Top, if desired, with Lime Dressing.
Whisk together 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 small garlic clove, grated, 1 tablespoon honey, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Tip: You can make the rice ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, or place cooled grains into a zip top freezer bag with as much air removed as possible and freeze for up to 3 months.