With just a few simple ingredients and a super quick baking time, these Baked Chicken Tenders are perfectly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. They’re a total hit with kids and adults and you only need 4 simple ingredients to make them!
Baked Chicken Tenders
I must admit, it took me a few years into motherhood to even think to make crispy baked chicken tenders at home because I was so sure that the kids wouldn’t think they were as good as the ones at school. But now that I’ve found an easy method that totally delivers, I can say with certainty that this is my family’s favorite chicken recipe!
The exterior is perfectly crisp (even the underside due to baking them on a rack inside a baking sheet), it only takes about 15 minutes to bake, and the leftovers are delish too.
TIP: The interior is super moist for those younger toddlers in the mix.
Healthy Baked Chicken Tenders
Since these chicken tenders are baked, there’s no need for oil or excess fat. I use a little nonstick spray to coat the baking rack, but otherwise, it’s a healthy chicken recipe. I do give you the option to use crushed tortilla chips or panko breadcrumbs and of the two, we LOVE the tortilla chips. So do try that route if you have them on hand.
They’re perfectly seasoned and just the right level of salt—without the need for any additional seasoning in the breading.
Ingredients You Need
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- chicken tenders
- flour (all purpose or a gluten-free flour blend)
- and either crushed tortilla chips or panko breadcrumbs
TIP: Both the crushed chips and the panko create very crispy baked chicken tenders, so use the one you prefer.
Can I make these chicken fingers without eggs?
Yup! Just omit the eggs and use ⅓ cup milk instead.
Here’s a look at the process involved in making this chicken tenders recipe. Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full information.
- Preheat the oven and grind the tortilla chips into crumbs.
- Working with one tender at a time, dredge the chicken completely in the flour.
- Coat the chicken in the egg.
- Coat the chicken in the tortilla crumbs. Bake!
TIP: You’ll want to coat a wire rack with nonstick spray and place it onto a baking sheet. This will ensure that the chicken will get crispy all over.
Kid-Friendly Chicken Strips
The beauty of these chicken tenders is that the meat is perfectly moist so it’s soft and easy for toddlers to eat. But the crunchy coating adds flavor and a nice texture for an overall pleasing balance. These are good dipped into ketchup, Ranch, marinara sauce, or applesauce.
What go well with these chicken tenders?
Are these chicken tenders gluten-free?
If you use the gluten-free flour blend and gluten-free corn tortilla chips or panko, then yes, they are gluten-free. This is how I most often make them and while I’m the only one in my family who is GF, everyone loves the results.
Tips for Making the Best Baked Chicken Tenders
- Do bake them on a wire rack as instructed. This allows air to circulate underneath so the tops and the bottoms are perfectly crispy.
- Coat the chicken well through the flour, egg, and crumbs to ensure the best results.
- If using the tortilla chip option, be sure to totally crush them to create an even crumb.
- If using panko, add ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Serve as strips or cut into pieces according to what will work best for your child.
- Reheat in the oven to return the chicken to crispy, or pack in a lunch and enjoy chilled.
- You may also like my Crispy Baked Fish Sticks, my Baked Chicken Nuggets, and my Tofu Nuggets.
I’d love to hear your feedback if you make this recipe so please leave a comment below!Print
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and place a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet. Coat the rack well with nonstick spray.
- Add the tortilla chips to a food processor or blender and process into fine crumbs. You should have about 1 cup. Pour into a shallow dish or pie plate.
- Break the eggs into another shallow dish and beat lightly. Add the flour to a third shallow dish and sprinkle with salt.
- Working with one tender at a time, dredge the chicken completely in the flour, egg, and then tortilla crumbs and place on the prepared rack. Continue to finish the rest of the chicken. Bake for 14-15 minutes or until completely cooked through.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with ketchup, Ranch, marinara sauce, or applesauce.
Store any leftover chicken in the fridge in an airtight container. Serve cold or warm briefly in a 350 degree F oven or in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.
Do bake them on a wire rack as instructed. This allows air to circulate underneath so the tops and the bottoms are perfectly crispy.
Coat the chicken well through the flour, egg, and crumbs to ensure the best results.
If using the tortilla chip option, be sure to totally crush them to create an even crumb.
If using panko, add ¼ teaspoon salt.
Serve as strips or cut into pieces according to what will work best for your child.
Reheat in the oven to return the chicken to crispy, or pack in a lunch and enjoy chilled.
Keywords: chicken tenders, chicken fingers