With just two ingredients, you can cook up deliciously moist and tender Instant Pot BBQ Chicken to use over noodles, rice, or in sandwiches. So easy!
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
I love my instant pot for making bulk batches of beans and for transforming plain chicken into a simple family dinner that everyone at my table loves. It’s such an easy method and you only need two ingredients!
Ingredients in BBQ Chicken
To make this recipe, you just need chicken and bbq sauce. I use this Apple Butter BBQ Sauce from a farm near my sister’s house in PA, but you can really use any that you like the flavor of. I like to make this with chicken thighs, but you can also use chicken breast meat or tenders.
Can I use frozen chicken?
Sure, you can cook chicken from frozen in the Instant Pot. Just see the suggested cooking time below in the recipe. (You can also use thawed chicken!)
How to Make Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Step-by-Step
To make this easy dinner recipe, here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Add water to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place the metal or silicone rack into the pot and place the chicken on top.
- Top with bbq sauce.
- Cover and seal and cook. Manually release the pressure when the timer goes off.
Easy BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
This chicken is easy to cut up or shred and serve on rolls for simple sandwiches. (Try adding some pickles or relish along with them for a nice kick of acid!)
If you aren’t in the mood for a sandwich, you could also serve them with buttered noodles or rice or another favorite grain.
Tips for Making the Best Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Place the chicken in an even layer for even cooking.
- If cooking from frozen, separate the chicken pieces if possible.
- Use a bbq sauce that you like the flavor of.
- Use kitchen shears to easily shred or cut up the cooked chicken.
- Use a slotted spoon to serve the chicken over rolls.
I’d love to hear what your family thinks of this recipe so please comment below with feedback!Print
You can double this recipe and use 2 pounds of chicken if desired. Just do your best to spread it into an even layer in the instant pot. (Note: The nutrition facts will vary based on the bbq sauce that you use.)
- 1 pound raw or frozen chicken thighs
- ½ cup bbq sauce
- buns, optional
- Place a metal or silicone rack into the Instant Pot. Add ½ cup water.
- Place chicken on top of the rack, breaking up frozen pieces if needed. Top with bbq sauce, spreading over the chicken evenly.
- Cover and seal. Cook on high for 8 minutes for raw chicken and 10 minutes for frozen chicken. Manually release the pressure when the cooking time is done and the Instant Pot beeps.
- Use a slotted spoon to serve the chicken with rolls for simple sandwiches, or with buttered noodles or a grain.
Place the chicken in an even layer for even cooking.
If cooking from frozen, separate the chicken pieces if possible.
Use a bbq sauce that you like the flavor of.
Use kitchen shears to easily shred or cut up the cooked chicken.
Use a slotted spoon to serve the chicken over rolls.
To make 2 pounds of chicken at once, use ¾ cup bbq sauce and cook for 10 minutes from raw and 12 minutes from frozen.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Keywords: bbq chicken sandwiches, instant pot bbq chicken