Mix up a simple batter bursting with banana, whole grains, and flavor for a healthy Banana Cake to celebrate a kids birthday or special event. Bonus: The simple whipped cream cheese frosting seals the deal and the whole thing can be made ahead!
Healthy Banana Cake
It’s always fun to make a cake to celebrate and share with the littles and this cake is one of our favorites for toddler birthdays! It’s easy to make, includes nutritious ingredients, and it tastes moist and just sweet enough. And grownups will enjoy it too!
Easy Banana Cake Recipe
This healthy cake comes together in a food processor, so it’s super easy to make—even if you have the kids around while you are making it. You can also make it ahead of time if that’s easier on your schedule.
To make this cake you’ll need ripe bananas, rolled oats, eggs, butter, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and maple syrup. And for the frosting, you simply need cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract and maple syrup or honey. So mostly pantry staples and too-ripe bananas!
Here’s a look at the easy process involved in making this healthy banana cake. Scroll down to the bottom of this post for the full recipe.
- Preheat the oven and gather your ingredients.
- Grind the dry ingredients into a coarse flour.
- Add the bananas and the remaining ingredients. Process into a uniform batter.
- Divide into prepared baking pans and bake.
Gluten-Free Banana Cake
To make this cake without gluten, simply opt for certified gluten-free rolled oats when buying them at the store.
Dairy-Free Banana Cake
To make this cake dairy-free, use melted coconut oil instead of the butter in the cake. And nondairy Greek yogurt instead of the cream cheese in the frosting.
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Sure! You can either bake just the cakes a day ahead or you can bake the whole thing and frost it ahead. I find it easier to store it if I just do the cakes ahead of time, so see the Notes section at the bottom of the recipe for details.
Healthy 1st Birthday Cake
This cake is perfect for a first birthday since the sweetness comes mostly from fruit and it’s super moist and easy for little ones to eat. You could even decorate it with fresh fruit or sprinkles if you want to!
Tips for Making the Best Healthy Banana Cake
- Use very ripe banana with black spots for the best natural sweetness and flavor.
- Use certified gluten-free rolled oats to make this gluten-free.
- Use melted coconut oil instead of butter to make this cake dairy-free.
- You can bake the cakes up to a day ahead and after they’re cooled, wrap in plastic wrap and store in the fridge. Let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving to allow the cakes to soften a bit.
I’d love to hear your feedback if you try this recipe, so please comment below to share!Print
This lightly sweetened cake is perfect for a first or second birthday—or just any day where you’re craving some cake to share!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup butter, melted and slightly cooled (or coconut oil)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans with nonstick spray and line with rounds of parchment paper. Grease again with nonstick spray.
- Place the oats, coconut, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon into the bowl of a food processor. Grind about 30 seconds, or until the oats resemble a coarse flour.
- Add the bananas, eggs, vanilla, butter, and maple syrup. Process for an additional 30 seconds or until the batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter between the pans. Bake for 28-30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out cleanly.
- Place pans onto a wire rack and let cakes cool completely in the pan.
- To frost, place one cake onto a plate, top with 1/4-⅓ cup of frosting. Place the second cake on top and spread the remaining frosting over top.
Cream Cheese Frosting: Use an electric hand-held mixer to beat together 8 ounces cream cheese (softened at room temperature), 2 tablespoons butter (softened at room temperature), 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extra. Beat until very smooth.
To make this dairy-free: Use melted coconut oil instead of the butter and nondairy Greek yogurt instead of cream cheese in the frosting.
To make this gluten-free: Use certified gluten-free rolled oats.
Let cakes cool in the pans on a wire rack to ensure that they stay together well.
Discard parchment paper before frosting the cakes.
To make ahead, you can bake the cakes up to a day ahead. Let cool, cover completely, and store in the fridge. Allow to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before frosting.
Store any leftovers covered with plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Keywords: healthy banana cake, easy banana cake