Transform apples into refined-sugar-free Sliced Baked Apples with this super simple method that takes just 5 minutes to prep. They’re a healthy topping for oatmeal, yogurt, and pancakes—and are perfect for baby led weaning!
Sliced Baked Apples
I almost always tend to have an apple or two left at the end of the week, and while my kids don’t always love to eat them fresh, they do love them turned into baked apples! This super simple method transforms apples into sweet slices of goodness without any need for extra sugar or fancy ingredients.
Simple Baked Apples
These slices are tender and soft, so they’re a perfect texture for babies starting solids with baby led weaning, toddlers, or even us parents. We love them plain as a snack cold out of the fridge or warmed slightly, or served with oatmeal, yogurt, or as a side with dinners including roasted chicken and pork chops. And they only require three basic ingredients.
TIP: You can add extra flavor to this recipe by adding 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger or Chinese five spice powder.
Best Apples for Roasting
I prefer to use harder cooking apples in this recipe for Sliced Baked Apples including Granny Smith, Pink Lady, Jonagold, and Jonathan, BUT it works with any apple. Apple varieties such as Gala and Golden Delicious may cook slightly faster and be softer, but they still work well.
Ingredients in Sliced Baked Apples
TIP: To make this recipe dairy-free, use the coconut oil option.
How to Make Sliced Baked Apples Step-by-Step Process
Here’s a look at the simple process involved in making this recipe.
- Preheat your oven and slice your apples to an even thickness of about 1/2-inch.
- Place baking pan into oven with oil or butter to warm and melt. Add apples.
- Add cinnamon, toss to coat, and bake.
- The apples are done when they are very tender when poked with a fork or pairing knife.
TIP: You can also dice the apples before roasting if you prefer to have smaller pieces of apples.
What should I serve these roasted apples with?
We like these apples cold straight out of the fridge as a snack, warmed with oatmeal or yogurt, over pancakes, or served alongside roasted chicken or pork chops.
Baked Apple Slices for Baby Led Weaning
These tender slices of apples are perfect for the baby led weaning style of starting solids. They are large enough for a baby to easily hold, are soft for sucking on, and are easy to make ahead.
TIP: Be sure to let the slices cool before serving to a baby or toddler. Bite into one yourself to be sure that the inside is totally cooled.
How to Freeze Sliced Baked Apples
You can freeze some of these apple slices to use later by simply allowing them to cool, then placing into a zip top freezer bag. Press the apples flat into one even layer and freeze flat to avoid the apples freezing together in a large clump. Then, when you want to serve up a few, simply break them off and thaw at room temperature, in the fridge, or quickly in the microwave.
TIP: You can also add frozen slices directly to smoothies!
Tips for Making the Best Sliced Baked Apples
- Store leftovers, once cooled, in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Serve cold or warmed.
- To freeze, let apples cool completely and store in a single layer in a zip top freezer bag in the freezer for up 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight or at room temperature.
- You can add frozen baked apples directly to smoothies.
- Serve warm apples over yogurt, oatmeal, or pancakes.
- Serve alongside savory dinners such as roasted chicken or pork chops.
- Use Granny Smith, Pink Lady, Fuji, or any other slightly firm apple you like.
- Add 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger or Chinese five spice powder for additional flavor.
I’d love to hear your feedback if you try this recipe, so please comment below to share!Print
We like these apples warm or cold out of the fridge, so see what your kids like best!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the butter or oil into a pie plate or baking dish. Warm in the oven for a few minutes to melt. Remove from oven.
- Slice the apples into approximately 1/2-inch slices and discard the cores. Place into the baking dish with the oil.
- Add the cinnamon and toss to combine.
- Bake for 28-34 minutes, or until tender when poked with a fork.
- Serve in slices or cut up into smaller pieces and serve over yogurt, oatmeal, or pancakes.
Store leftovers, once cooled, in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Serve cold or warmed.
To freeze, let apples cool completely and store in a single layer in a zip top freezer bag in the freezer for up 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight or at room temperature.
You can add frozen baked apples directly to smoothies.
Serve warm apples over yogurt, oatmeal, or pancakes.
Serve alongside savory dinners such as roasted chicken or pork chops.
Use Granny Smith, Pink Lady, Fuji, or any other slightly firm apple you like.
Add 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger or Chinese five spice powder for additional flavor.