With a load of veggies, but a quick cooking method that makes it possible to make on a weeknight, this Vegetarian Black Bean soup is healthy comfort food at its best.
Dinner time is still the most stressful (most days at least!) because it’s the time of the day when the kids want my attention most—and yet, a meal somehow has to get to the table. I love to make easy soups and stews, especially during the colder months, since they can often simmer away on the stove while I do other things. And this Vegetarian Black Bean Soup has an easy method and is filled with nutritious ingredients and vegetarian protein.
Moroccan Black Bean Soup
This Vegetarian Black Bean Soup gets an unexpected flavor boost from orange juice, which lends a slightly sweet note that kiddos tend to enjoy—and a Middle Eastern flavor that makes it more interesting than many black bean soups. It also adds Vitamin C, which is always a good thing to help keep immune systems strong!
To make this vegetarian soup, you’ll need neutral oil, cooked black beans (homemade or canned work!), sweet potato, bell pepper, carrots, onion, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, stock, and orange juice. This mix of ingredients makes for a soup that’s rich with Vitamin A and C, as well as protein and fiber.
Here’s a look at the process involved in making this Black Bean Soup.
- Add the oil to a medium pot and warm over medium heat. Add the veggies and stir to coat. Add the spices. Cook until starting to soften.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the orange juice. Puree smooth (or leave chunky!) and serve topped with desired toppings.
What toppings do you like on this soup?
This Vegetarian Black Bean Soup is great topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, pico de gallo, crushed tortilla chips, and/or avocado. And since it’s not spicy, you may also want to add hot sauce if you like a bit of heat from your black bean soup.
Can I make this Vegetarian Black Bean Soup in the slow cooker?
Totally! Simply put all of the ingredients except the orange juice into the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours. Since it’s an everything-into-the-pot affair, it’s perfect for assembling before work and enjoying on a busy weeknight.
What can I serve this Black Bean Soup with?
We like it paired with cornbread, with soft strips of corn tortillas on top, or served over rice, but serve it how you think your family will like it most. And depending on the preferences of your little one—which in our house seem to be a moving target from day to day—offer it up in a bowl or with the ingredients separated out with less broth. It’s pretty good both ways!
Tips for making the best black bean soup
- If you’re looking for a more hands-off recipe, cook in the slow cooker on low for 7-8 hours.
- Puree smooth, use an immersion blender, or leave it chunky.
- Use canned or homemade black beans in this recipe.
- Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, pico de gallo, crushed tortilla chips, and/or avocado for some extra crunch and flavor.
- If you want some more spice, add a mild hot sauce.
- Eat it plain, serve it over rice, or even pair it with cornbread. It’s all about how your family likes it!
I’d love to hear what you think of this recipe so please comment below with your feedback!Print
You can serve this soup chunky or pureed smooth, according to what your family might prefer. There’s also a slow cooker option if that’s more your speed!
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil like canola
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5 ounce can reduced sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup orange juice
- Sour cream or cheese to top, optional
- Add the oil to a medium pot and warm over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, bell pepper, and sweet potato and stir to coat. Add the spices. Cook for about 5 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 12-15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the orange juice . Serve (or puree smooth and serve) topped with desired toppings.
To do this in the Slow Cooker:
Place all ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper as needed, and serve with sour cream shredded cheese as desired.
Add a sprinkle of cilantro on top.
Serve over rice or couscous.
Use pinto beans instead of black.
Keywords: vegetarian black bean soup, black bean soup