Combine 4 simple ingredients to make lower sugar homemade Chocolate Milk that’s creamy and so super delicious. Plus: You don’t need any fancy tools to make it!
Homemade Chocolate Milk
There’s something so satisfying about a glass of chocolate milk and while I admit that I totally balked at the idea of giving kids flavored milk when I was a new mom, I’ve since come to realize a few things. First, some kids like more flavor and dislike plain milk. And while kids don’t necessarily need to drink milk, it’s a nice option to have! Also, once kids go to school, they will very likely have the option to choose chocolate milk so I prefer to continue to normalize it (instead of fully restricting it which can make it more appealing).
I don’t make this type of milk often, but I do it sometimes because my middle kiddo adores it and it’s a fun snack!
Ingredients in Homemade Chocolate Milk
To make this flavored milk you’ll need:
TIP: See the Notes at the bottom of the recipe for alternatives.
How to Make Homemade Chocolate Milk Step-by-Step
This recipe is so super quick and easy. Here’s the basic method. Scroll down to the recipe to find the full information.
- Place the ingredients into a Mason jar.
TIP: If there are little undissolved bits of cocoa powder, you can strain it through a little fine mesh strainer.
Can I make this healthy chocolate milk ahead of time?
Sure! Just put a lid on the jar and store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Shake or stir it right before serving since some of the cocoa powder will sink to the bottom of the milk.
Tips for Making the Best Homemade Chocolate Milk
- You can store in an airtight container for up to 24 hours in the fridge. Shake or stir before serving.
- Use honey or agave instead of maple syrup.
- You can try using less sweetener. I find that this amount works best to balance the cocoa powder, but you may feel differently, so taste and adjust.
- You can also make this in a blender if you prefer.
- Make more or less according to your preference.
I’d love to hear your feedback if you try this recipe so I know what your kids thought of it. Please comment below to share (I appreciate each comment!)Print
You can make this right before serving or make it up to 24 hours ahead.
- Add all ingredients to a pint-size Mason jar. Tight on the lid and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
- Let sit for a few seconds so the bubbles disperse. Serve. If there seem to be small bits of undissolved cocoa powder, you can pour it through a fine mesh strainer (the small kind meant for tea works well if you have one).
You can store in an airtight container for up to 24 hours in the fridge. Shake or stir before serving.
Use honey or agave instead of maple syrup.
You can try using less sweetener. I find that this amount works best to balance the cocoa powder, but you may feel differently, so taste and adjust.
You can also make this in a blender if you prefer.
Make more or less according to your preference.
Keywords: homemade chocolate milk, flavored milk