Serve up healthy comfort food with this easy recipe for healthy Mashed Potatoes with Broccoli. It’s quick and so yummy and is one of our favorite family side dishes to share.
Healthy Mashed Potatoes
I love when I find a method of cooking that simplifies dinnertime and this one fits the bill—you get to combine two sides (potatoes and broccoli) into one creamy mash!
My middle kiddo loves this recipe so much, which honestly has been a surprise to me since she’s hit or miss on broccoli on it’s own. When she was reluctant to try it the first time, I asked her to take a tiny taste test and give it a thumbs up, down, or in the middle.
That engaged her and helped her to be brave enough to try a new food. And she loved it! (That doesn’t always happen but it did in this case.)
Ingredients You Need
The foods you need to make this recipe are super streamlined and straight forward. Here’s a look:
- Yukon gold baby potatoes (or another similar white or yellow potato)
- Butter or olive oil
- Sour cream
TIP: You can also use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream if desired.
Here’s a look at the process involved in making this recipe. Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- Dice the potatoes and broccoli.
- Cook in boiling water.
- Mash with a potato masher with the butter, sour cream, and salt. Serve!
TIP: You can peel the potatoes if you want a creamier, more uniform mixture, though I usually leave them on.
Best Tips for Success
- Use Yukon gold baby potatoes (or another similar white or yellow potato) for the creamiest texture.
- Trade in cauliflower for broccoli if desired.
- Use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream if desired.
- Salt to taste for your liking.
- Let kids eat with a spoon, fork, or their fingers.
- Serve as a side dish with Baked Chicken Tenders or Chicken Nuggets.
- You may also like Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes, Best Boiled Green Beans, and easy Cornbread Muffins.
I’d love to hear your feedback on this recipe if you try it, so please comment below to share! I always love to hear from you all.
Healthy Mashed Potatoes with Broccoli
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes diced (peeled if desired)
- 2 cups broccoli florets (roughly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (or olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place the potatoes into a medium-large pot and cover with 2 inches of cold water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until almost tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, stir, and simmer until the broccoli and the potatoes are cooked through and soft (but not mushy), about 4 minutes more.
- Drain in a colander.
- Add the butter, sour cream, and salt. Mash with a potato masher, making the mixture as chunky or smooth as you like.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Reheat to serve.
- Use cauliflower instead of broccoli if desired.
- Dairy-free: Use olive oil instead of butter and omit the sour cream.