Starting the day off with a healthy toddler breakfast is a great goal to adopt at any time of the year. And one of the easiest ways to increase the amount of veggies your toddler is eating (even during busy weeks!) is to simply serve them more often—starting with your toddler’s breakfast. This not only builds in a buffer if intake trails off as the day goes on, but it can be easier for your toddler to be brave about trying new or more challenging foods at the start of the day when they’re fresh, rather than tired from a full day of activities in the evening.
This can also be a nice confidence boost for the parents, so you’re not relying totally on lunch and dinner to get a days worth of produce into the kids!
10 Yummy Toddler Breakfasts with Veggies
- Add a few slices of zucchini to a smoothie. It’s nearly impossible to taste and it adds extra fiber to the toddler smoothie.
- Add a few pieces of cauliflower to a smoothie. Keep a bag of raw florets in the freezer and pull a few out every time you make a smoothie. You can add them frozen.
- Top plain yogurt with roasted butternut squash cubes. It’s easy to do ahead and store in the fridge—and they’re slightly sweet, which is a plus.
- Stir roasted, mashed sweet potato or pumpkin into a batch of overnight oats to change up a toddler breakfast rut.
- Stir roasted, mashed sweet potato into oatmeal. It sort of tastes like pie if you also add a little cinnamon and honey!
- Try carrot muffins or pumpkin muffins or blueberry zucchini muffins. All of these options are toddler finger foods that are healthy and delicious.
- Offer quickly steamed carrots or peas with scrambled eggs. Because there’s no reason a toddler breakfast can’t include a side of veggies!
- Tuck leftover veggies into omelets or egg muffins. This is a simple way to pack in a serving of veggies into breakfast.
- Make Sweet Spinach Pancakes or Super Green Muffins. The color is fun and the spinach is balanced by naturally sweet fruit.
- Spread roasted and mashed winter squash on toast, with or without nut butter, possibly with a drizzle of honey. Or go with the ever-popular avocado toast!